Good preparation is half the battle. Especially when it comes to movinf. This planner helps you to organise your move in the right way.
As soon as possible
- Request quotations from various registered movers.
- Ask your employer for an allowance for moving expenses.
- Cancel the rent of your old home/garage.
- Arrange for telephone and internet connections and digital TV.
- Inform current school of children/register children at new school.
- Take days off/take moving house leave.
- Taking measurements in the new house (especially for furniture, refrigerator, built-in appliances, curtains, blinds).
- Cancel household help/ discuss change of address.
- Collecting the Post NL removal service.
- Start clearing up and sorting things out.
- Arrange for moving boxes for what you can already pack.
- Arrange for a municipal guide and map if you are moving to another municipality.
- Find out about childcare, public transport and waste disposal.
- Municipal regulations.
- Find a contractor, painter, etc. if you plan to rebuild.
- Order new furniture.
4 to 2 weeks before the relocation
- Informing insurers and asking about conditions and possibilities for new insurances.
- Arrange for disconnection of electricity, gas and water from new home.
- Connecting electricity, gas and water to the new house.
- Have a nameplate made.
- Tidying up items that are not moving with you.
- Take account of the imminent departure when placing new orders.
- Register the removal company or arrange for the rental of a removal van.
- Ask family/friends for help with moving.
2 weeks before the relocation
- Send change of address.
- Arrange for children and pets to be cared for on the day of the move.
- Inform the caretaker if you live in an apartment complex.
- Store important papers and valuables.
- Return items borrowed from the neighbourhood.
- Cancel/request the post office box.
- Save old newspapers and boxes for packing your belongings.
- Make an appointment for the collection of bulky waste.
1 week before the relocation
- Clean the new house and number the rooms.
- Inform suppliers.
- Packing things you don't need anymore.
- Get food for the evening before the move and for the day of the move.
- Take care of sufficient soft drinks, tea, coffee and snacks in the old and new house.
- Arrange for the keys to be handed over to the old and new houses.
- Make new keys if necessary.
- Use the day of the municipal cleansing service to give away what has to be removed.
- Ensure that you have enough cash on hand.
- Ensure that the parking space in front of your home is kept free on the day of the move.
- Put stickers on moving boxes indicating where they have to go (kitchen, bedroom, etc.).